RICK'S FUN KAZOO FACTS
- The Kazoo is a manufactured version of an Afro-American folk
instrument, U.S. in origin. It is based on the African mirliton, a
mysterious instrument used in sacred ceremonies as voice disguisers.
- It is believed that the first American Kazoo was created in the
1840's in Macon, Georgia, by Alabama Vest, an American black, and
Thaddeus Von Clegg, a German clockmaker. It was reported to have
been exhibited at the Georgia State Fair in 1852.
- Rick Hubbard started giving away kazoos in his show in 1987,
forming kazoo bands from entire audiences. Since that time Rick has
given away nearly 500,000 kazoos.
- Rick's largest kazoo band was comprised of more than 30,000
- Rick has led what he believes to be the only kazoo band ever to
perform at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC.
- Rick has appeared on the Today Show in New York.
- Rick has appeared on "Good Morning America" playing kazoo with
- Rick has a collection of kazoos dating back to the 1930's. His
collection is worth nearly $26.00.
- Rick can imitate over 40 different sounds with the kazoo.
- Rick believes that he is the only person in America actually
making a full-time living playing the kazoo.